Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
untreated cedar plank, about 12 in. long
centre-cut, skin-on salmon fillet
- SOAK plank in cold water for 1 to 2 hours.
- PREHEAT barbecue to medium. Slice salmon fillet into 4 portions, cutting through flesh but not through the skin. Place fillet on plank, skin-side down. Brush oil over salmon and into the cuts. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper.
- LAY plank on grill. Barbecue, lid closed, until fillet is barely firm to the touch and white juices appear all over the sides, 20 to 25 min. Turn barbecue off and keep lid closed for 5 min. Fish should now feel firm to the touch, and a knife inserted into the thickest part and held for 10 sec should be warm. If not, close lid and let rest another 5 min. (Watch plank carefully; if it catches fire, spray with water and reduce the heat to medium-low.) Use a wide spatula to remove fillet to a platter.
- BOIL broth in a large saucepan set over medium-high. Stir in lentils, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until tender, about 20 min. Strain and discard any excess liquid, if needed. Place lentils in a medium bowl.
- MELT butter in same saucepan over medium-high. Add shallots and mush- rooms. Cook until mushrooms soften, 3 to 4 min. Stir in lentils, parsley, lemon zest and 1 tsp salt. Season with fresh pepper. Serve with salmon.