This ginger-flavoured soup is fabulous to begin a weekend brunch. And while it works with light sour cream, you’ll get a better texture if you use regular.
Chilled cantaloupe & strawberry soup
4 cups (1 L)
* PLUS Refrigeration Time: 120 minutes
- 2 medium, very ripe cantaloupes , about 1-kg each
- 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup thickly sliced strawberries
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger , or 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 to 2 tsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- fresh mint leaves , optional
- fresh strawberries , sliced (optional)
- Cut cantaloupes in half. Remove and discard seeds. Cut into wedges, then slice close to peel to remove fruit. Cut into large chunks. (You should have about 7 cups/1.75 L.)
- Place cantaloupe chunks, 1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream, strawberries, ginger and 1 tsp (5 mL) lime juice in bowl of a food processor or blender. Work in batches, if necessary. Blend until smooth. Taste and stir in additional sour cream and remaining lime juice, if you wish.
- Refrigerate just until cold, 2 to 4 hours, or up to 2 days. Chill soup bowls in the freezer or refrigerator. Ladle soup into chilled bowls, then garnish with mint leaves and more sliced strawberries.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3.4 g,
- 25.3 g,
- 4.9 g,
- 2.3 g,
- 145 mg.