Sirloin steak sandwiches with arugula aioli
Photo by Sian Richards
beef sirloin roast
, or grilling eye-of-round roast
coarsely chopped baby
, cut into 1/2-in. slices
- STIR paprika with sugar, garlic powder, 1/2 tsp salt, onion powder, seasoning salt, cumin and chili powder in a large bowl until combined. Season with fresh pepper. Stir in 1 tbsp oil until it forms a loose paste. Add roast, coating all sides in mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. Before roasting, let meat stand until room temperature.
- PREHEAT oven to 325F. Arrange a rack on bottom of a roasting pan. Set roast on rack. Roast in centre of oven until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of roast reads 135F to 140F for medium rare, about 1 hour and 15 min. Let rest, uncovered, for 30 min
- STIR mayo with arugula, lemon zest and juice and shallot in a small bowl. Season with fresh pepper.
- PREHEAT grill over medium. Brush both sides of onion rounds with 1 tbsp olive oil. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp salt and season with fresh pepper. Grill until onions are charred and soft, flipping halfway through, 4 to 6 min. Remove from grill and separate rings.
- BRUSH buns with remaining 2 tbsp olive oil. Grill until toasted, 2 to 3 min. Thinly slice roast. Divide into 10 portions. For each sandwich, spread 2 tbsp arugula aioli on top and bottom of bun. Layer buns with beef, then onions and additional arugula.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 28 g,
- 43 g,
- 30 g,
- 4 g,
- 800 mg.
- Excellent source of
Make-ahead tip: Chilling the cooked roast will make it easier to slice thinly.