Spanish shrimp fideuáBy Chatelaine
This intriguing dish includes many of the classic flavours of paella, like saffron, paprika and peppers, but with instant-cooking rice noodles in place of high-maintenance rice.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 onion , thinly sliced
- 2 red bell peppers , finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp crumbled saffron
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 300-g pkg frozen shrimp , thawed and peeled
- 175 g thin rice vermicelli , broken into 1-in. pieces, about 5 cups
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1 lemon , cut into wedges (optional)
- HEAT a medium (10-in.) non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add oil, then garlic, onion and peppers. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in tomato paste, paprika and saffron. Cook 1 min. Add broth. Boil, then stir in shrimp and noodles. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turns pink and noodles have absorbed all the liquid, about 5 min. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 16 g,
- 50 g,
- 5 g,
- 4 g,
- 646 mg.