, cut into small cubes
, (10 to 12)
finely chopped fresh
- DOUGH: Combine flour with 1/4 tsp sugar and salt in a food processor. Add 1/4 cup cubed butter and pulse until mixture looks crumbly. With motor running, add ice water in a slow, steady stream through spout until dough comes together. Form into a 4-in. disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 30 min.
- FILLING: Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 425F. Line the bottom of a 9-in. pie plate with parchment paper.
- TRIM ends from shallots, leaving root cores intact. Halve shallots, then peel.
- MELT 1 tbsp butter with
oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. When butter starts to foam, add shallots, cut-side down. Cook, without stirring, until bottoms are dark golden brown, 7 to 9 min. Flip shallots and continue to cook until tender, 2 to 3 min more. Remove from heat. Arrange shallots, cut-side down, on prepared pie plate; set aside.
- ADD sherry, 1 tbsp sugar, rosemary and thyme to same pan over medium. Cook, stirring often, until mixture is syrupy, 2 to 3 min (there should be about 2 tbsp liquid). Stir in remaining 1 tbsp butter. Drizzle over shallots.
- ROLL out pastry on a floured surface into a 9-in. circle. Place pastry round
over shallots, then tuck edge around shallots. Use
a sharp paring knife to cut 3 steam vents in centre of pastry.
- BAKE until top of pastry
is dark golden brown and
juices are bubbly around
edge, 16 to 18 min. Transfer
to rack to cool for 5 min.
Loosen pastry edge with
- USE oven mitts to hold a serving plate over pie plate and invert to release tart. Carefully peel off parchment paper. Sprinkle with thyme and season with pepper. Cut into 8 wedges.
Chatelaine Basics: How to carve a turkey
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 16 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 98 mg.
Kitchen Tip: Save prep time
by using refrigerated pie dough, such as Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust.
Kitchen Tip: To make-ahead, prepare
shallot filling up to step 5. Let cool, cover and refrigerate overnight. Preheat oven and continue with recipe.