, chopped (about 3 cups)
1 796-mL can
- POSITION a rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375F.
- HEAT a large frying pan, preferably non-stick, over medium-high. Add lamb and stir often, until no pink remains, 5 to 7 min. Pour off all but 2 tbsp fat. Add onion, garlic, coriander, paprika, salt and hot pepper flakes. Cook until onion is softened, 5 to 7 min. Stir in tomatoes, wine, raisins and thyme. Bring to a boil, mashing tomatoes with a potato masher. Reduce heat to medium and boil gently, uncovered, until most of liquid is absorbed, 30 to 35 min. Remove thyme and let mixture cool completely.
- CRUST: Insert the base of a 9-in. round springform pan, lip side down. Lightly brush bottom and inside edge with melted butter.
- PLACE a phyllo sheet on a work surface. Brush all over with melted butter, then top with another sheet. Brush with melted butter, then repeat with 2 more sheets. Using bottom of springform pan as a guide, carefully cut into a 9 1/2-in. circle. Cover circle with plastic wrap and set aside.
- KEEP remaining phyllo sheets in a stack. Lightly brush top sheet with melted butter. Remove from stack and place it, butter side up, in prepared pan with two overhanging sides. Rotate pan 90 degrees. Repeat with 7 more phyllo sheets, rotating the pan as you go so side is evenly covered. Scoop cooled lamb mixture over phyllo, then smooth top. Lift overhanging edges toward the centre of the pan and fold over to enclose filling. Top with reserved phyllo rounds. Use the dull side of a paring knife to tuck edges into side of pan.
- BRUSH top of baklava with honey. Using a sharp paring knife, cut the top phyllo layers into quarters, then cut 5 evenly spaced diagonal lines into each quarter. Transfer pan to a rimmed baking sheet. Bake in lower third of oven until phyllo is shiny and dark golden, 28 to 32 min.
- COOL baklava in pan for 10 min. Transfer to a platter. Cut into 8 wedges.
Chatelaine presents: Spinach and feta pan pie
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 37 g,
- 24 g,
- 3 g,
- 640 mg.
Kitchen tip: To save on prep time, use eight sheets of phyllo instead of 12 and omit the round phyllo topping. After folding the phyllo over the lamb filling, brush the top with honey, then bake without scoring.