Kale salad with creamy cashew dressingBy Chatelaine
During the dog days of summer, when it’s too hot to move, let alone turn on the oven, these genius recipes will save supper.
- 2/3 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp honey , (optional)
- 1 bunch kale , thinly sliced, about 8 cups
- 1/4 cup canned chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- 1 carrot , peeled and grated
- 2 gala apples , sliced, about 3 cups
- 1 avocado , finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese , (optional)
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup pepitas
- SOAK cashews in water, covered, overnight. Pour cashews and liquid into a blender along with lemon juice, Dijon, honey and salt. Season with fresh pepper. Whirl until very smooth. It should measure about 1 1/3 cups.
- COVER kale with hot water in a large bowl for at least 1 min. Drain and squeeze kale dry. Return to bowl. Add chickpeas, carrot, apples, avocado, goat cheese, dried cherries and pepitas. Drizzle with cashew dressing. Toss to coat.
Mastering the basics: kale caesar
Nutrition (per serving)
- 12 g,
- 47 g,
- 23 g,
- 11 g,
- 388 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin B6