Filipino Pork Skewers (Longganisa-Style)By Chatelaine
Inspired by a hearty and rich breakfast sausage popular in the Philippines, our pork skewers are a healthier take packed with the same great flavour.
- 500 g lean ground pork
- 1/4 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp apple-cider or cane vinegar
- 2 tbsp garlic , minced (about 10 cloves)
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp annatto powder or paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
1. Combine pork with bread crumbs, sugar, vinegar, garlic, soy, annatto and pepper in a large bowl.
2. Soak skewers in water for 10 to 15 min. Preheat barbecue to medium.
3. Divide pork mixture into 4 portions. Form each into a log about 4 1/2 in. long, then flatten slightly. Place 2 skewers, 1 in. apart, lengthwise on 1 log. Mould pork mixture firmly around skewers. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining pork mixture and skewers.
4. Oil grill. Barbecue skewers, lid closed, gently flipping halfway, about 12 min. Continue to cook until pork feels rm to the touch, about 6 min more.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25 g,
- 23 g,
- 15 g,
- 1 g,
- 280 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B12