Best-ever stuffing recipeBy Chatelaine
1 h 55 min
We asked readers whether stuffing is best with or without meat, and the overwhelming response was without. Just in case, we have also included a delicious sausage variation.
- 675-g unsliced loaf of white bread , preferably cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sage
- 2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 celery stalks , finely chopped
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups no-salt chicken or vegetable broth
- POSITION oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 350F. Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on 2 large baking sheets. Toast in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through and stirring occasionally, until golden and dry, 15 to 18 min. Transfer to a very large bowl. Stir in cranberries, parsley, sage and thyme. Reduce heat to 325F.
- MELT butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add celery, onions and salt. Season with fresh pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, 5 min. Add to bread mixture. Toss until evenly mixed. Drizzle with broth, stirring to combine. Transfer to a 9 × 13-in. baking dish. Cover with foil.
- BAKE stuffing recipe in in bottom third of oven for 15 min. Remove foil and stir. Continue baking, uncovered, until hot, about 15 more min.
- To make sausage stuffing recipe: After preparing bread, cook 375 g mild Italian sausages, casings removed, in 2 tsp canola oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high, using a wooden spoon to break up meat, until no pink remains, 3 to 5 min. Add celery and onions; omit butter and salt. Continue with recipe.
The best way to carve a turkey
Nutrition (per serving)
- 8 g,
- 56 g,
- 8 g,
- 4 g,
- 638 mg.
- Excellent source of