Beef chili with mole sauceBy Chatelaine
This beef chili has a surprisingly twist (chocolate!). Taking inspiration from the iconic Mexican mole sauce, this rich dish is a must-try for winter.
- 454 g strip loin steak , cut in 1-in. cubes
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 1 large green bell pepper , finely chopped
- 1 small onion , finely chopped
- 227 g cremini mushrooms , halved or quartered
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 1 398-mL can black beans , (no need to drain)
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 3 tbsp chopped dark chocolate
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Toss steak with 2 tbsp flour and salt in a bowl. Heat a large pot over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp oil, then the steak. Cook, stirring occasionally, until brown all over, 4 to 5 min. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, then green pepper, onion and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion starts to soften, 3 to 5 min. Add remaining 1 tbsp flour, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Stir for 1 min.
- Pour in broth, beans and liquid. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for
5 min. Stir in steak, peanut butter, chocolate and sugar. Stir until chocolate melts, 1 to 2 min.
- Ladle into bowls, and then top with sour cream. Serve with whole wheat tortilla chips.
Kitchen Tip: Make your own tortilla chips by stacking 6 small whole wheat tortillas, then slicing into 8 wedges each. Arrange on 2 baking sheets, then brush both sides of tortillas with 2 tsp canola oil. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching and rotating sheets halfway through, until golden, 5 to 6 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27 g,
- 26 g,
- 18 g,
- 8 g,
- 636 mg.
- Excellent source of