Maple-bacon french toastBy Chatelaine
8 hrs 10 min
Challah bread is ideal for this recipe – it's sturdy enough to stand up to long cooking. We like the subtle sweetness of this dish but really love it served with lots of maple syrup.
- 6 strips bacon , preferably thick-cut
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup brown sugar , divided
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 450 g egg-bread loaf, preferably Challah , cut into 1-in.-thick slices
- maple syrup
- COOK bacon in a large non-stick frying pan over medium until it starts to crisp. Let cool slightly.
- LINE bottom and sides of slow cooker insert with 1 large piece of parchment. Brush with oil. Twirl bacon strips into nests and arrange on bottom of insert.
- BEAT eggs with milk, 1/3 cup brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Dip each side of bread slices in egg mixture. Divide bread and brown sugar into 2 or 3 layers, 1 slice thick, depending on size of slow cooker. Place first layer of dipped bread over bacon, sprinkle with brown sugar, then repeat with remaining bread and sugar. Cover and cook for 8 hours on low.
- PREHEAT broiler. Use oven mitts to lift parchment holding French toast out of the slow cooker. Flip, bacon-side up, onto a baking sheet. Broil in centre of oven, until bacon is crisp, about 2 min. Transfer to a platter or cutting board. Divide into 6 servings. Serve with maple syrup.
Our slow cooker recipes are developed with a 7 quart slow cooker.
How to make perfect pancakes every time
[brightcove id=’4142688297001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 19 g,
- 64 g,
- 23 g,
- 2 g,
- 816 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B12