Grainy brown breadBy Chatelaine
1 h 55 min
1 loaf (14 slices)
- 2 1/4 cups warm water , divided (about 110F)
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 2 8-g pkgs active dry yeast
- 4 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cups pepitas
- 1/4 cup flax seeds , divided
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds , divided
- 2 tbsp poppy seeds , divided
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds , divided
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg , beaten
- SPRAY a 9×5-in. metal loaf pan with oil.
- STIR 3/4 cup water with molasses and yeast in a large bowl until combined. Let stand, 10 min.
- STIR flour with pepitas, 3 tbsp each fl ax and sunflower seeds, 1 tbsp each poppy and sesame seeds, and salt in a medium bowl until combined. Stir remaining 1 tbsp each flax, sunflower, poppy and sesame seeds in a small bowl until combined. Stir flour mixture into yeast mixture with remaining 11/2 cups water, using a wooden spoon, until combined. Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter. Knead once or twice, then shape into a log. Place in prepared pan, pressing down to fill pan. Brush with egg and sprinkle evenly with reserved seed mixture. Cover with a damp towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 45 min.
- PREHEAT oven to 400F.
- BAKE loaf in centre of oven until golden, 45 to 50 min. Let stand, 5 min. Turn loaf out onto a rack and let cool completely, about 1 hour.
Use this bread to make our superfood sandwich.
Nutrition (per slice)
- 10 g,
- 34 g,
- 9 g,
- 6 g,
- 252 mg.
- Excellent source of