Rainbow Salad Rolls recipe excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Rainbow Salad RollsBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
Cram as many fresh vegetables as you can into these! They take some time to prepare, but are well worth the effort.
- 250 g dried rice vermicelli noodles
- 12 rice paper wrappers , about 9 in. wide
- 1 ripe avocado , pitted, peeled and thinly sliced
- Leaves from 1 bunch cilantro
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped unsalted peanuts
Peanut Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup warm water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic , crushed
Vegetable Filling Suggestions
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 candy cane beet , thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 1/2 English cucumber , thinly sliced into long ribbons
- 3 green onions , (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced into long ribbons
- 1 mango , peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sweet red pepper , thinly sliced
- 1 cup sugar peas
- 1 cup pea shoots
- 1 cup shaved red cabbage
- Hoisin sauce
- Make the Peanut Dipping Sauce. In a medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, water, lime juice, soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic; whisk until smooth. Alternatively, combine ingredients in a blender or mini food processor and blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble the salad rolls. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the rice vermicelli noodles and cook until tender. Drain, rinse under cold water and place in a small bowl.
- Fill a shallow dish large enough to accommodate the rice-paper wrappers (such as a large pie plate) with warm water. Submerge one of the wrappers in the warm water until softened but still slightly stiff, 15 to 25 seconds. (If you wait until it is entirely softened, it is more likely to tear when you assemble the rolls.) Lay the softened wrapper on a clean work surface. In the lower-middle of each wrapper, layer a slice of avocado, some vermicelli noodles, your choice of vegetables, a few cilantro leaves and a sprinkle of peanuts. Fold the sides of the wrapper over the filling, then roll it up, starting from the bottom. Repeat filling and rolling the remaining salad rolls.
- Serve with the Peanut Dipping Sauce, sriracha and hoisin sauce.