For someone who loves clothes, accessories and fashion so much, it’s quite unbelievable that I have never shopped online for clothing. Part of it is worry: what if I don’t like it when I see it? (I’ve learned to always try on something before making a decision), part of it is fear (what if they steal my credit card), and part of it is embarrassing to admit.
But I will admit it. I just do not know how to do it. It’s kind of like online banking. People keep telling me it will change my life, but I like to send my bills off by mail, which really is a pain in the ass. Maybe online shopping will change my life.
So when my friend Joanna Track announced her intentions to start an online shopping site, called Dealuxe.ca, my first thought was, “Woot! Woot! Wholesale clothes for Eckler!” Then my second thought was, “Oh my god. I’m going to have to shop at her site.”
This isn’t just because I’m a loyal friend, but also because she has amazing taste when it comes to clothes. She has acted as my personal shopper before picking out clothes for me at Holt’s. But now that’s she’s going online, I wondered if I was the only person to be scared of shopping for clothes and accessories online. Am I?
So I spoke with Joanna, the founder of Dealuxe.ca about my fear about online shopping. She agrees there are still a lot of Canadian women scared to on-line shop and that I’m not alone. She shares her thoughts on us scaredy-cat online fashion shoppers.
1. There are several reasons why shopping online is on the rise. “First, you can’t beat the convenience of it. No crowd to fight, no traffic to beat, you get what you want, when you want it. Not to mention it can be done in the comfort of your home. There is also the beauty of seeing your favorite designer trends merchandised as complete looks, which provides great inspiration.” At Dealuxe.ca, they are going to provide tips and advice from fashion-savvy experts to enhance the customers’ shopping experience. (It’s true. It would be more convenient and save time!)
2. I asked for three tips for first time online shoppers. “Start with accessories,” Track says. “If you have reservations about online shopping, try something simple to get you started. The perfect it-bag, or the season’s hottest new shoe can be a great way to get your fashion feet wet.” Fit matters, adds Track. “We will take extra steps to ensure the customer knows how something fits. Whether it fits true to size or loose and oversized, we provide detailed product descriptions so you know what exactly what to expect when your purchases arrive on your doorstep.” So make sure you read the details! Track also adds to always look for “deals and steals.” “Sites often advertise great deals and promotions on your favorite designer fashions.” To stay in the know and informed you can sign up for their weekly newsletter at Dealuxe.ca.
3. She says we shouldn’t be scared of credit card fraud. “Credible sites have gone to great lengths to ensure their customer’s privacy and overall satisfaction. This includes clear and concise policies like returns and exchanges, getting properly accredited with credit card companies and ensuring the site is secure so that your personal information is safe.” Another thing that should ease people’s minds is that online shopping is here to stay. (In other words, like the internet 15 years ago, we must learn to use it!)
4. Track was an early adopter of online shopping. “My first few purchases were a Foley + Corinna handbag on their e-commerce site, and a stunning pair of Dolce Vita shoes on Shopbop.com.” In fact, both of those brands, as well as Track’s other favorites, will be carried on Dealuxe.ca so Canadians can have easy access to these great designers.
5. What will happen to stores? “There will always be a place in my heart for going to a store, but shopping online is definitely what I gravitate towards these days. I’m a busy mother, entrepreneur and lover of fashion. There is no better outlet to satisfy my shopping needs than online. Time saved means more time spent with my family and friends, and that is invaluable.”
6. So how do I not become a shopping addict online? “Don’t burn out on your first visit!” Dealuxe.ca adds new products weekly, so it’s always a good idea to visit your favorite sites often.
So are you a online shopper? Will you try it out? At least I know Track and can vouch for her. Too bad I’m losing a shopping buddy. But maybe I’ll invite her over and we can shop from my computer!