( 14 ratings )
- Cooking time:
- 25 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 10 minutes
- 8 servings
- 5 or 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts or 12 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs, or a mix
- 4 garlic cloves or 2 1/2 tsp (12 mL) bottled chopped garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- olive oil
- 5 hot Italian sausages
- 28 oz (796 mL) can plum tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) pimento-stuffed olives
- 2 tsp (10 mL) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each dried thyme leaves and salt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely grated orange peel
A hearty Spanish stew chock full of succulent chicken and spicy sausage creates a great winter warm-up.
- Slice each chicken breast into 3 pieces. If using thighs, leave whole. Mince garlic. Chop onion and pepper. Lightly coat a large saucepan with oil and set over medium heat. When hot, add sausages. Turn occasionally until evenly browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a cutting board, then thickly slice.
- Once sausages are removed, add garlic and onion to fat left in pan. Stir often until onion begins to soften, 3 minutes. Add tomatoes. Scrape up and stir in any brown bits from pan bottom. Using a wooden spoon, break up tomatoes as best you can. Stir in pepper, olives, seasonings and orange peel. Add chicken and sausages. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is springy when pressed, 15 to 18 minutes. Great spooned over brown rice or mashed potatoes. Stew will keep well, covered and refrigerated, up to 2 days or freeze up to 2 months.
- Defrost and reheat stew in microwave. Or place frozen stew in a saucepan with a little water. Cook over medium heat, stirring often.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 29.8 g
- 19.1 g
- 8.5 g
- 1.6 g
- 2.3 mg
- 69 mg
- 1341 mg