We rarely think of Oriental and sliced tomatoes at the same time, so this new slant comes as a surprise. It’s especially good with grilled chicken or steak.
Oriental tomato salad
This article has not been rated yet.
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp rice wine vinegar , or 2 tbsp white vinegar or lime juice
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger , bottled puréed or minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp chili-garlic sauce , or 1/4 tsp hot-red-chili-flakes (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 4 cups mixed greens , such as spinach and watercress
- 4 ripe tomatoes , preferably 2 yellow and 2 red, or 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 to 4 green onions , thinly sliced
- Prepare dressing in a small bowl by whisking oils with vinegar, garlic, ginger, chili-garlic sauce, salt and sugar until blended. Use right away or leave at room temperature for several hours or cover and refrigerate for several days.
- Just before serving salad, cover a platter with a mixture of greens. Slice round tomatoes, overlap slices over top of greens, then drizzle with dressing. If using cherry tomatoes, however, cut in half and toss with dressing until lightly coated. Then spoon over greens. Diagonally slice green onions and scatter over top. Serve right away with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds, if you like.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2.4 g,
- 8.7 g,
- 9.6 g,
- 2.8 g,
- 185 mg.