Mediterranean chicken dinner
* PLUS Cooking time: 5 minutes, Marinating Time: 120 minutes, Roasting Time: 60 minutes
, or legs
1 1/2 tsp
, preferably different colours
- Remove and discard any loose fat from chicken as well as skin, if you wish. Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag or dish just large enough to hold pieces in a single layer. Finely grate peel from 1 lemon, then squeeze juice from both. Whisk in a small bowl with oil, garlic, oregano, paprika and salt. Pour over chicken and seal bag or cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours but preferably overnight, turning at least once. Flavour intensifies with marinating time.
- When ready to roast, preheat oven to 375F (190C). Potatoes should be about 1-1/2 inches (3.5 cm) in diameter. If not, cut in halves or quarters. Peel onion and cut into quarters. Drain marinade into a small saucepan. Place chicken bone-side down in a large, wide shallow roasting pan, such as a broiling pan. Scatter potatoes and onion around chicken. Roast, uncovered, in centre of 375F (190C) oven for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring marinade to a boil over medium-high heat. Let bubble until reduced by half, from 5 to 10 minutes. Seed and cut peppers into quarters. Cut zucchini into quarters lengthwise, then in half or thirds. Set aside.
- When chicken has roasted 30 minutes, pour half the reduced marinade over chicken and stir peppers into vegetables. Roast 15 more minutes, then pour remaining marinade over chicken and stir vegetables. Roast 10 minutes. Add zucchini to vegetables and continue roasting until zucchini is hot, from 5 to 10 minutes.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32.8 g,
- 26.4 g,
- 17.7 g,
- 4 g,
- 949 mg.
One-dish meals don’t get much easier than this. Tangy lemon and oregano give zing to this easy roast.