Inspired by classic Thai broth, our coconut version is incredibly comforting. Dried shiitake mushrooms and bamboo shoots add flavour and depth to this one-bowl dinner.
Hot and sour chicken soup
8 cups (2 L)
* PLUS Cooking time: 12 minutes
- 900 mL carton chicken broth
- 400-mL can coconut milk
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 14-g pkg dried shiitake mushrooms , coarsely chopped
- 199-mL can sliced bamboo shoots
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 2 limes
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- Pour broth and coconut milk into a large saucepan and set over medium heat. Whisk to mix. Add fresh and dried mushrooms, bamboo shoots, and fish and chili-garlic sauces. Grate peel from limes into soup, then squeeze in juice of one lime. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, slice chicken into bite-size strips. Stir into soup as soon as it boils, then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, 6 to 8 min. Taste and add more lime juice if needed. Sprinkle with cilantro. Soup will keep well, covered and refrigerated, for 1 day.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 10 g,
- 4 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 823 mg.