A bottle of char siu sauce is a must-have for the modern cook. It’s a Chinese barbecue sauce that adds instant flavour to stir-fries, and can also be used as a glaze for meat and chicken. Char siu sauce does wonders for burgers and meat loaves. Look for it in your supermarket where stir-fry sauces and Asian condiments are sold. If you can’t find it, try using hoisin and oyster sauces, which give equally delicious results.
BBQ broccoli and pork stir-fry
This article has not been rated yet.
This low-calorie BBQ broccoli and pork stir fry comes together in less than half an hour, but with this much flavour, you would never know.
- 1 pork tenderloin
- 1/4 cup bottled char siu sauce , or 2 tbsp each hoisin and oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger , or 2 1/2 tsp bottled chopped ginger
- 2 garlic cloves , or 1 1/2 tsp bottled chopped garlic
- 1 tsp hot chili-garlic sauce
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 bunch broccoli , or 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper
- 284-mL can water chestnuts , drained (optional)
- vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup toasted almonds or cashews , optional
- Slice pork in half lengthwise, then slice each half into thin strips. Place in a large bowl. Add char siu sauce, ginger, garlic and chili-garlic sauce. Stir to coat. Place onion cut side down and slice into thin strips. Slice broccoli stalks from florets. Cut florets into bite-size pieces. Peel stalks and thinly slice. Core and seed pepper, then slice into thin strips. Drain and rinse water chestnuts.
- Lightly coat a large frying pan or wok with oil and set over medium-high heat. When hot, add pork. Stir often just until no pink remains, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in onion, broccoli florets and stalks, pepper and water chestnuts. Stir in water. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until broccoli is tender-crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. If using frozen broccoli, you may have to cook an extra 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in nuts. Broccoli and pork stir-fry is great over rice or noodles.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 25.1 g,
- 17.4 g,
- 3 g,
- 4.1 g,