Sophisticated stuffing strata
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Cooking time: 17 minutes, Refrigeration Time: 480 minutes, Baking Time: 120 minutes
12 to 15 slices
1 1/2 tsp
, or blend of white cheese
3 1/2 cups
- Spread bread out on counter to dry. Do not remove crusts. Slice white onions into thin rings. Then slice rings in half. Chop celery.
- Heal oil in a large frying pan set over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms. Stir-fry until golden, about 3 minutes. Add sherry and stir until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Turn onto a plate. Reduce heat to medium-low. Melt butter in pan, then stir in white onions and celery. Sprinkle with sage, savory and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring often, until onions are soft, about 12 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and green onions.
- Arrange 6 bread slices in a buttered 9×13-inch (3-L) baking dish. Press down to flatten. Spread half of vegetable mixture over top. Sprinkle with half of cheese. Cover with 6 bread slices. Press down again. Spread with remaining vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Firmly press down. Whisk milk with eggs and salt. Pour evenly over bread-and-cheese mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours or preferably overnight.
- To bake, preheat oven to 325F (160C). Take cold strata from the refrigerator and remove wrap. Place in oven below roasting turkey. Bake at 325F (160C) until golden and centre is set when jiggled, about 1-1/2 hours. Let sit 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with sliced green onions.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 20 g,
- 24 g,
- 18.8 g,
- 1.6 g,
- 444 mg.
This side dish is the answer for the vegetarians on your guest list.