Cooking okra on a dry grill removes its slippery texture.
Okra & Tomato Salad (Ensaladang Okra at Kamatis)By Chatelaine
Okra is well-used and requested all year round in the Philippines: it can be tossed in salad, stewed, or braised. Rich tomatoes and bright okra are a perfect pair for this delicious dish, plus our cooking method gets rid of the slimy texture.
- 1 1/2 tsp lime zest
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 1/4 tsp brown sugar , packed
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 1 small Thai bird chili , thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes , halved
- 4 cups okra , (about 30)
- pinch salt
1. Whisk lime zest and juice with garlic, sugar, fish sauce and chili in a large bowl. Whisk in oil, then add tomatoes, tossing to coat. Let stand 20 min, stirring occasionally.
2. Preheat barbecue to high. Trim okra tops and discard. Halve each okra lengthwise and place cut-side down on grill. Cook, lid closed, until charred, 4 to 6 min.
3. Transfer okra to a bowl and sprinkle with salt, then stir into tomato salad.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 2 g,
- 10 g,
- 11 g,
- 3 g,
- 313 mg.
- Good source of
- Vitamin C