French lemon tart
This article has not been rated yet.
* PLUS Refrigeration Time: 30 minutes, Baking Time: 20 minutes
No pastry skills needed to make this impressive French pastry tart. Your food processor does all the mixing and there's no rolling required; just pat right into the tart pan. Fill your perfect shortbread crust with a tangy fresh lemon cream that's incredibly easy as well. The toughest part: squeezing the lemons.
white vinegar or
- For crust, place flour, sugar and salt into a food processor. Whirl until mixed. Add butter. Pulse just until coarse crumbs form. Add vinegar and pulse just until mixture begins to form a ball. Remove dough and gather into a ball.
- Place dough in centre of 10-in. (25-cm) tart pan with removable bottom. Using the palm of your hand, press dough from middle of pan to edge. Using your fingertips, press dough up edge of pan until dough is even with rim. Refrigerate for 30 min. to firm dough a little.
- Position rack in bottom of oven. Preheat to 400F (200C). Spread bottom of crust with jam. Place on a baking sheet.
- For filling, place eggs, sugar and lemon juice in a large bowl. Whisk until mixed. Add cream and whisk until evenly mixed. Pour filling into pastry crust. Bake on bottom rack of preheated oven until centre of filling is set when pan is jiggled, 20 to 25 min. Cool completely. Keep refrigerated. Sprinkle with toasted sliced almonds just before serving, if you like.
Spreading a layer of jam over the pastry crust is a French trick to prevent the dough from becoming soggy. If you don’t have jam, skip this step and it will still work.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 4.4 g,
- 33.9 g,
- 15.2 g,