Warm chicken and apple saladBy Chatelaine
A hearty salad that holds its own at dinner. Pour out a few glasses of crisp white wine for guests, and sit down to enjoy a fresh, harvest-inspired meal.
- 1/2 cup apple cider , or juice
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh tarragon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium red onion , sliced
- 1 red apple , sliced
- fresh pepper
- 8 cups Boston or leaf lettuce
- 170 g camembert , sliced
- WHISK apple cider or juice with apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, fresh tarragon and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- CUT chicken breasts in half horizontally. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium- high. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, then chicken. Cook until chicken is golden and cooked through, about 3 min per side. Transfer chicken to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Reduce heat to medium.
- ADD 1 tbsp olive oil and red onion to frying pan. Cook until onion is soft, about 3 min. Stir in 1apple and cider mixture. Simmer, uncovered, until apple is tender, 4 to 5 min. Season with fresh pepper. Remove from heat. Slice chicken into strips. Arrange torn lettuce on a platter. Top with chicken, Camembert and warm apple mixture.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 32 g,
- 65 g,
- 19 g,
- 3 g,
- 580 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin B12
Pair it with: An organic Chilean white
A terrific wine from Chile’s Casablanca Valley that’s a treat with this harvest salad. The nose is incredibly herbaceous with touches of green grass and citrus. In the mouth you’ll find a bright, crisp green-apple character.
Our pick: Adobe Reserva Sauvignon Blanc, Chile, $13.