Pasta and chicken are family pleasers. This recipe is perfect for leftover chicken or a cooked chicken from your deli counter. The addition of dried spices and creamy goat cheese turns it into a hearty and sophisticated dinner.
Italian chicken toss
4 to 6 servings
- 1/2 450-g pkg fettuccini or linguine pasta , about a 1-in. bunch
- 1 deli-roasted chicken , or 4 cups sliced cooked chicken
- 6 green onions
- 4 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes , halved
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives , pitted
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves , minced, or 1 tsp bottled chopped garlic
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary , crumbled
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano leaves , or basil
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 284-mL can undiluted chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine , optional
- 130-g log creamy goat cheese
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Then add pasta and cook according to package directions, from 8 to 10 minutes. Meanwhile, remove skin from chicken. Tear or cut meat into bite-size strips. They should measure about 4 cups (1 L). Set aside. Thinly slice onions diagonally. Coarsely chop sun-dried tomatoes. Slice olives in half.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large wide saucepan set over medium heat. Add half of onions and all of sun-dried tomatoes, olives and garlic. Stir in rosemary, oregano and pepper. Stir often until onions have softened, about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken. Increase heat to high. Stir in broth and wine, if using, then bring to a boil. Boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced by one-third, 3 minutes. When pasta is cooked, drain well, then stir into pan. Crumble in goat cheese and stir just until melted and pasta is evenly coated. Sprinkle with remaining onions. Serve immediately.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 38.6 g,
- 31.4 g,
- 16.4 g,
- 2.5 g,
- 829 mg.