Updated Nov 24, 2014Chatelaine
- Whisk olive oil with lemon juice, Tabasco, 1/2 tsp brown sugar and 1/8 tsp salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Slice ends off tomatoes. Cut each tomato into 3 slices, 1/2 in. each. Set red tomato slices aside on a plate.
- Stir flour with 1/4 tsp salt in a shallow dish. Season with pepper. Whisk egg in another shallow dish. Stir panko with 1 tbsp brown sugar in a third shallow dish. Pat green tomato slices dry with paper towels. Dip each slice in flour, then in eggs, then in panko mix. Lay on a plate.
- Heat a large frying pan over mediumhigh. Add 1/4 cup oil. When oil is hot, add panko-crusted green tomato slices. Fry until golden-brown, 1 to 2 min per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Toss mixed greens and basil with dressing. Stack a fried green tomato, then a red tomato slice on a plate. Top with salad greens. Serve immediately.