Spanakopita pizzaBy Chatelaine
1 h 10 min
This party-worthy pizza is inspired by our favourite Greek savoury pastry.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion , finel chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 454-g pkg baby spinach , about 12 cups, chopped
- 1 cup extra-smooth ricotta
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup crumbled feta , divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 450-g pkg frozen sheets of all-butter puff pastry , thawed in refrigerator
- 1 egg
- POSITION oven racks in top and bottom thirds of oven. Preheat to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.
- HEAT a large pot over medium. Add oil, then onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is lightly brown, 4 to 5 min. Add spinach and cook until wilted, 1 min. Add ricotta and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 min. Remove from heat. Transfer to a fine-mesh strainer and drain excess liquid. Return to pot and stir in dill, 1/2 cup feta, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
- UNROLL puff pastry rolls onto prepared sheets. Use a paring knife to score a 1/2-in. border around each pastry square, then use a fork to prick holes all over the pastry. Beat egg in a small bowl. Brush evenly over both sheets of pastry.
- BAKE in top and bottom thirds of oven, switching sheets halfway through, until pastry is golden and puffy, about 15 min.
- REMOVE baking sheets from oven. Divide spinach mixture between the squares and spread to scored borders. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup feta over spinach mixture. Continue baking until puff pastry and feta are golden-brown, switching sheets halfway through, 13 to 15 more min. Sprinkle with hot-red-chili flakes. Slice each pizza into 9 pieces.
- Make-ahead tip: Bake pizzas 3 hours before the party. Keep in a cooled oven. Pizzas can be served at room temperature.
How to make a spinach and feta phyllo tart
[brightcove id=’2474796829001′ width=’640′ height=’360′]
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 12 g,
- 11 g,
- 1 g,
- 275 mg.
- Excellent source of
- Vitamin A