Savoury caramelized onion dipBy Chatelaine
3 1/4 cups
We infused classic French onion dip with umami flavours for a modern take.
- 4 slices bacon , finely chopped
- 2 large sweet onions , chopped
- 2 tsp honey
- 4 tsp oyster sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup finely chopped cilantro or parsley
- 2 cups sour cream
- 2 tbsp fried shallots , optional
- HEAT an extra-large non-stick frying pan over medium. Add bacon. Cook for 2 min, then add onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are brown and soft, about 15 min. Stir in honey, oyster sauce and salt. Cook for 2 min, then remove from heat. Let cool at least 20 min.
- STIR onion mixture and cilantro into sour cream in a medium bowl. Transfer to a serving dish. Sprinkle with fried shallots. Serve with crackers or crudités.
- Make-ahead tip: Prepare onion mixture 1 day ahead. Stir onion mixture and cilantro into sour cream and garnish before serving.
How to dice an onion
Nutrition (per tbsp)
- 1 g,
- 4 g,
- 2 g,
- 52 mg.