Updated Mar 1, 2017Chatelaine
fine bread crumbs
plain goat cheese, sliced into 6 rounds
1 1/2 cups
cubed cream cheese, at room temperature
chopped fresh dill
- PREHEAT oven to 400F. Coat the bottom and sides of 6 1/2-cup ramekins with 1 tbsp butter, then dust with bread crumbs. Tap sides to evenly coat. Arrange on a large baking sheet. Drop a goat cheese round into each ramekin. Set aside.
- MELT remaining 4 tbsp in a medium saucepan over medium. Whisk in flour. Gradually add 1 cup milk, then Dijon, whisking constantly, until a smooth, thick paste forms. Continue cooking, whisking constantly for 2 min. Remove from heat. Whisk in egg yolks.
- BEAT egg whites with salt in a medium bowl, using an electric mixer on high, until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted, 2 to 3 min. Gently fold whites into milk mixture along with lemon zest and chives until no white streaks remain. Spoon mixture into prepared ramekins.
- BAKE in centre of oven until soufflés have risen and are golden, 18 to 20 min.
- WHISK remaining 1/2 cup milk with cream cheese in small saucepan over medium until smooth, about 5 min. Stir in dill.
- TRANSFER soufflés to a rack to cool slightly, about 3 min. Run a small knife around inside edge of ramekins, then invert onto appetizer plates. Drizzle with cheese sauce and top each with a slice of salmon. Serve immediately.