Winter Steak and Mushroom SaladBy Chatelaine
Oven-roasted oyster mushrooms and sharp Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese make this a salad to get excited about.
- 300 g oyster mushrooms
- 8 tbsp olive oil , divided
- 2 tbsp Italian-style bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 2 1-in.-thick beef strip loin steaks , (300 g each), at room temperature
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 142-g pkg baby arugula
- Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese , (optional)
- Position oven rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 425F.
- Tear mushrooms in half and toss with 3 tbsp oil on a baking sheet. Spread
in a single layer. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and grated cheese.
- Bake until mushrooms are golden, 10 to 12 min.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle garlic powder and 1⁄2 tsp salt over steaks. Season with pepper. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high. Add 1 tbsp oil, and then steaks. Reduce heat to medium. Cook for 3 to 4 min per side for medium-rare. Transfer steaks to plates and let rest, covered, for 5 min.
- Whisk vinegar with honey, Dijon and remaining 4 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
- Thinly slice steak. Divide arugula among 4 dinner plates. Top with mushrooms and steak. Drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette. Garnish with shaved cheese.
Tearing large mushrooms instead of chopping them ensures a crispy, craggy texture.