Heirloom Tomato Salad with Garlic-Chili CrispBy Chatelaine
This article has not been rated yet.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 8 garlic cloves , thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds
- 3/4 tsp salt , divided
- 1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes , halved, divided
- 2 tsp unseasoned rice vinegar , or white wine vinegar
- 4 heirloom tomatoes , (about 700 g), cut in 1/2-in. wedges
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup loosely packed chopped dill
- Combine canola and sesame oils and garlic in a small saucepan set over medium. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cook, watching closely and stirring constantly, until garlic just turns golden-brown, 3 to 5 min. Immediately pour into a small heatproof bowl. Stir in red pepper flakes, sesame seeds and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Measure out 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (preferably red) and transfer to a blender. Add vinegar and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Whirl until smooth. Pour tomato mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into a measuring cup. You should have about 1/3 cup dressing. Discard solids.
- Arrange remaining cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes and red onion on a large platter. Drizzle tomato dressing overtop, then garlic-chili crisp. Sprinkle with cilantro and dill.
Keep garlic slices consistent in thickness to ensure even cooking.