While we all love a good curry, it just doesn’t seem like summer fare. So why not upgrade the taste of the ever-popular burger with a bit of curry and the sweet tartness of mango chutney.
* Go nuts Sprinkle chicken burgers with toasted sliced almonds.
* Hola salsa Make your own using a combo of chopped tomatoes, red onion, avocado and fresh coriander with a good squeeze of lime.
* Go green Pile on large basil leaves, pea shoots, arugula, baby spinach or sprigs of coriander.
* French-style Drizzle with store-bought Béarnaise or Dijon blended with mayonnaise.
* Say cheese Use up extra cheese you have in the fridge. Grate hard cheese or crumble feta or goat cheese overtop. Experiment with a slice of Oka, spiced Gouda or creamy Saint André.
* Fajita fiesta Layer with roasted red pepper and slices of pickled jalapeño. Dollop with sour cream and guacamole. Serve on grilled tortillas with shredded lettuce.
Sweet & Sour Chicken Burgers
Mix 1 lb (500 g) ground chicken or turkey with 1 thinly sliced green onion, 2 tsp (10 mL) sweet & sour or plum sauce, 2 tsp (10 mL) soy sauce, 2 tsp (10 mL) bottled chopped garlic and 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt. Following directions above, form into burgers and grill. Mix a little mayonnaise with more sweet & sour sauce for a burger topping.
Prepare burgers, then lightly coat a large frying pan with oil and set over medium heat. Add burgers. Cover and cook until well browned and firm when pressed, 5 to 6 minutes per side. Reduce heat to medium-low if burgers brown too quickly before they’re cooked through. Tuck into crusty buns and top with your favourite fixings.