Plant-based Jamaican-Inspired PattiesBy Chatelaine
1 h 45 min
8, serves 4
The classic goes vegan.
- 2 tbsp canola oil , divided
- 1 medium carrot , finely chopped
- 1 green onion , finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1/2 cup dried green lentils , rinsed
- 2 tsp fresh thyme , leaves
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth , divided
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tbsp plain bread crumb
- 2 batches Flaky Pie Dough , (see Kitchen Tips, below, for recipe)
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- Heat a large frying pan over medium. Add 1 tbsp oil, then carrot. Cook until it starts to soften, 3 to 4 min. Stir in green onion and garlic. Cook 1 min.
- Add lentils, thyme, curry powder, allspice and salt. Cook 1 min. Stir in 1¼ cups broth and 1/2 cup water. Boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until lentils are tender and liquid is mostly absorbed, about 20 min.
- Stir cornstarch with remaining ¼ cup broth in a small bowl. Stir cornstarch mixture and breadcrumbs into lentil mixture and cook, stirring until liquid is absorbed, 1 to 2 min. Scrape into a medium bowl and set aside to cool, 30 min. (If mixture is too hot, it will be more difficult to form the pastry.)
- Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 375F.
- Roll each ball of dough into a 7-in. circle on a floured counter. Place 3 tbsp of filling onto one side of each dough circle. Then fold other side of dough over filling to form a half moon. Seal edges with the tines of a fork. Trim edges with a knife. Transfer pastries onto two large baking sheets.
- Stir remaining 1 tbsp oil with turmeric in a small bowl. Brush mixture over tops and bottoms of each patty. Use a fork to pierce top of each patty a few times. Bake, one sheet at a time, until edges of patties are golden, 12 to 14 min.
This recipe requires two batches of our Plant-based Flaky Pie Dough recipe. Divide each batch of dough into 4 equal pieces. You will have 8 total. Roll each into a ball and set on a plate. Cover with plastic. Chill in refrigerator, 20 to 30 min.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 17 g,
- 75 g,
- 61 g,
- 6 g,
- 876 mg.