Baked Pesto-Stuffed Salmon FilletsBy Chatelaine
Salmon fillets are stuffed with pesto and cream cheese and topped with crispy panko breadcrumbs for this impressive dinner.
- 1/4 cup cream cheese , softened
- 1/3 cup pesto , store-bought or homemade (see Kitchen Tip)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 skinless salmon fillets , about 180 g each and 1 in. thick
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 small garlic clove , minced
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 142-g hearty kale salad mix , such as Eat Smart
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 400F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil. Mash cream cheese in a small bowl until smooth, then mix in pesto. On a plate, combine panko with 1 tbsp oil and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Using a sharp paring knife, cut a 3-in. slit in the middle of 1 side of each salmon fillet (make sure not to cut all the way through). Spoon 2 tbsp cheese mixture into pocket of each fillet. Dip tops of salmon into panko mixture, pressing gently. Arrange salmon, panko-side up, on prepared sheet. Bake until a paring knife inserted into thickest part of fillet comes out warm, 12 to 15 min.
- Salad: Whisk 3 tbsp oil, vinegar, garlic, Dijon and 1/4 tsp salt in a large bowl. Toss with kale mix. Serve with stuffed salmon.
- To make your own pesto, blend 1 garlic clove, 4 cups basil leaves, 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, 1/3 cup grated parmesan, 2 tbsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp salt until finely chopped, and gradually add 1/3 cup each of olive and vegetable oil while blender is running.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 34 g,
- 11 g,
- 43 g,
- 2 g,
- 639 mg.
- Excellent source of
- vitamin C