Peanut butter and jelly doughnutsBy Chatelaine
You’ll never go back to the doughnut shop! Transform classic PB&J into a trendy treat that’s sweet, airy and totally unforgettable.
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 7-g pkg quick-rise instant yeast
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- canola oil , for frying
- 3/4 cup Concord grape jelly
Peanut Butter Glaze
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1/4 cup smooth natural peanut butter , at room temperature
- 3 tbsp water
- Microwave milk until warm, 45 sec. Pour into bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook. Add yeast and stir. Let stand for 10 min.
- Beat in granulated sugar, butter, egg and salt. Add flour. Beat on medium-high until dough forms a ball and pulls away cleanly from the bowl, about 5 min.
- Spray a medium bowl with oil. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Lightly spray with oil.
- Scrape dough out of mixer bowl into oiled bowl. Lightly oil top of dough and cover with a damp tea towel (not terry cloth). Let stand in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hr. Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1⁄2 to 3⁄4 in. thick. Using a 3-in. round cutter, cut into 12 rounds. Transfer to prepared sheet. Cover with same damp tea towel and let stand until doughnuts double in size, about 45 min.
- Pour oil into a pot until it reaches 1 in. up the sides. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Heat over medium until temperature reaches 350F. Adjust heat as necessary to keep temperature at 350F during cooking. Fry dough- nuts, 4 at a time, flipping halfway through, until golden, 3 to 4 min. Drain on paper towels.
- Poke a hole into the side of each doughnut with a medium round piping tip. Attach tip to a piping bag
and fill bag with grape jelly. Pipe jelly into holes.
- Peanut Butter Glaze: Whisk icing sugar with peanut butter and water in a small bowl until smooth. Spread over tops of doughnuts.
Nutrition (per doughnut)
- 5 g,
- 45 g,
- 16 g,
- 1 g,
- 102 mg.
- Excellent source of