Updated Nov 10, 2017Chatelaine
quick-rise instant yeast
unsalted butter, melted
2 1/2 cups
canola oil, for frying
Concord grape jelly
PEANUT BUTTER GLAZE
- MICROWAVE milk until warm, 45 sec. Pour into bowl of a stand mixer fitted with dough hook. Add yeast and stir. Let stand for 10 min.
- BEAT in granulated sugar, butter, egg and salt. Add flour. Beat on medium-high until dough forms a ball and pulls away cleanly from the sides and bottom of the bowl, about 5 min. (Mixer may move around the counter during beating process.)
- SPRAY a medium bowl with oil. Line a large baking sheet with parchment. Lightly spray with oil.
- SCRAPE dough out of mixer bowl into oiled bowl. Lightly oil top of dough and cover with a damp tea towel (not terry cloth). Let stand in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- ROLL out dough on a floured surface to 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick. Using a 3-in. round cutter, cut into 12 rounds. Transfer to prepared sheet. Cover with same damp tea towel and let stand until doughnuts double in size, about 45 min.
- POUR oil into a pot until it reaches 1 in. up the sides. Clip a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Heat over medium until temperature reaches 350F. Adjust heat as necessary to keep temperature at 350F during cooking. Fry doughnuts, 4 at a time, flipping halfway through, until golden, 3 to 4 min. Drain on paper towels.
- POKE a hole into the side of each doughnut with a medium round piping tip. Attach tip to a piping bag and fill bag with grape jelly. Pipe jelly into holes.
- WHISK icing sugar with peanut butter and water in a small bowl until smooth. Spread glaze over tops of doughnuts.