Updated Jul 12, 2017Chatelaine
- MICROWAVE ¼ cup milk in a medium heat-safe bowl until warm, 10 to 15 sec. Stir in yeast and 1 tbsp sugar and let stand until slightly frothy, about 10 min. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- MICROWAVE remaining 1 cup milk and ⅓ cup butter in the same bowl until butter is melted, about 50 sec. Stir in remaining 3 tbsp sugar and salt. Cool until lukewarm, then add to yeast mixture with eggs.
- BEAT with the paddle attachment on low speed for 1 min. Gradually add flour until a ragged dough forms, about 2 min.
- REPLACE paddle with dough hook. Knead dough on medium for 1 min, then increase speed to medium-high and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 min. Remove hook.
- COVER bowl with a damp kitchen towel. Let rise at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 ½ hours.
- SPRAY 2 9-in. round pans with cooking spray. Transfer dough to a lightly floured counter and knead for 1 min. Divide in half, then divide each half into 10 portions. Roll into smooth round balls, pinching bottoms to seal. Arrange balls in prepared pans and cover with same towel. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. Bake until golden brown, about 15 – 20 min. Let cool, 5 min. Melt remaining 2 tbsp butter and brush tops. Sprinkle with flaked salt.
Kitchen Tip: These featherlight rolls are best served warm from the oven with butter.
Garlic butter rolls: Cook 2 grated garlic cloves with 2 tbsp butter in a small saucepan over medium for 1 min. Stir in 2 tbsp parsley, then brush tops of baked rolls with garlic mixture.
Seed rolls: Sprinkle with 4 tsp poppy, flax or sesame seeds before baking as directed.
NutritionCalories 170, Protein 5 g, Carbohydrates 24 g, Fat 6 g, Fibre 1 g, Sodium 219 mg. Excellent source of folate
Baking School: How to make quick breads