Curry-Coconut Sheet Pan Noodles With Chicken and KaleBy Chatelaine
This recipe is inspired by cookbook author Hetty McKinnon’s ingenious sheet pan noodle technique and influenced by the flavours of khao soi, a Thai dish known for its contrast in textures. Roasting the noodles in the oven allows the top surface to crisp up, while the layer below stays tender and moist. —Lindsay Guscott
- 1/3 cup yellow Thai curry paste
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 4 tsp fish sauce , divided
- 4 85-g pkgs instant ramen noodles , flavour packets reserved for another use
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale , stems discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves
- lime wedges , for serving
- Arrange rack in top position of oven; preheat oven to 450F. Bring a kettle of water to a boil.
- Combine curry paste, oil and 2 tsp fish sauce in a large bowl.
- Place noodles in a heat-proof bowl, then pour boiling water overtop. Set aside for 5 min to soften.
- Place chicken on a large, rimmed baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Measure out 2 tbsp curry mixture and drizzle over chicken; toss to combine. Roast for 5 min.
- Meanwhile, prepare quick-pickled onions: Combine onion with remaining 2 tsp fish sauce and lime juice in a small bowl. Set aside for serving.
- Drain noodles; transfer to large bowl with remaining curry mixture. Add coconut cream, then toss to coat. Push chicken to one side of baking sheet, then spread kale over the other side. Cover kale with noodles. Return to oven and roast until chicken is cooked through and tops of noodles are crispy, 12 to 15 min.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Thinly slice.
- Toss noodles and kale together, then divide among plates. Top with sliced chicken, pickled onions and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.
If noodles aren’t crispy after 15 min, switch to the broil setting. Watch noodles and chicken closely; it will only take 1 to 2 min more.
Don’t throw out ramen seasoning packets! There are plenty of ways to put those little flavour bombs to use without noodles.
Mix 1/2 seasoning packet with 6 hard-boiled egg yolks, 1/4 cup mayonnaise and 1 ½ tsp Dijon mustard, then use as directed in a classic devilled eggs recipe for a half-dozen eggs.
Mix 1/2 seasoning packet with 1/4 cup canola oil or melted ghee and 1/2 cup popcorn kernels in a wide, lidded pot and heat over medium. Cover and cook, shaking pot while kernels pop, for 2 to 3 min, until popping slows down.
Mix 1 seasoning packet with a 250-mL tub sour cream, a handful of thinly sliced scallions and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.