Joy Of Cooking's Fresh Ginger CakeBy Chatelaine
9-inch square cake; about 12 servings
The ultimate warming dessert for cool weather, made with fresh zippy ginger, from the 2019 revamp of the culinary classic.
- 1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (115g) packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (170g) molasses
- 1/2 cup minced, peeled ginger , (from about 4 oz./115g unpeeled ginger)
- 1 large egg
- 1 stick (115g) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup (120g) water
- powdered sugar
A food processor makes quick work of mincing the fresh ginger for this cake. (No, the amount of ginger is not a typo.)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square baking pan and line the bottom with a square of parchment paper. Whisk together in a medium bowl: all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt.
2.Whisk together in a small bowl: brown sugar, molasses, ginger, egg.
3. Combine butter and water in a medium saucepan and heat until the butter is melted,
4. Whisk into the molasses mixture. Stir the flour mixture into the molasses-butter mixture until just smooth. Scrape the batter into the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
5. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Slide a thin knife around the cake to detach it from the pan. Invert the cake onto the rack, peel off the parchment paper, and turn right side up to cool completely.
6. Serve dusted with powdered sugar.