Chocolate Mochi Ice CreamBy Chatelaine
Our twist on the Japanese food trend uses strawberry ice cream for a bite-sized satisfying summer treat.
- 12 scoops strawberry ice cream , (using 1 1/2-in. ice cream scoop)
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour , such as Mochiko
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup room-temperature water
- 3/4 cup cornstarch , or potato flour
1. Line a 12-cup mini mu n pan with mini cupcake liners. Place 1 scoop of strawberry ice cream in the bottom of each liner. Freeze until ready to use.
2. Sift rice our with sugar and cocoa into a medium microwave-safe bowl. Whisk in water until blended. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 1 min. Stir well with a rubber spatula. Re-cover with plastic wrap and microwave 1 min more. Stir well with spatula and let cool 10 min. (Dough will be elastic and sticky.)
3. Line an 11 x 16-in. rimmed baking sheet with parchment. Sprinkle cornstarch evenly over parchment. Scrape mochi dough onto cornstarch. Generously sprinkle dough and rolling pin with cornstarch before rolling out into a rectangle that measures 12 x 6 in. Refrigerate at least 20 min, preferably 1 hr.
4. Cut out 12 rounds from dough, using a 3-in. round cookie cutter. Brush o cornstarch from both sides of rounds with a pastry brush. Stack rounds on a plate and chill for 30 min.
5. Remove 3 ice cream scoops in liners from freezer and place on counter. Wrap each scoop with a dough round and pinch ends together. Return to cupcake liner, pinched-side down, then return to mu n pan in freezer. Repeat with remaining ice cream and dough rounds. Freeze until ice cream is rm again, about 1 hr, before serving. Let stand 1 min before serving. Mochi ice cream will keep well in freezer up to a month.
DIY Strawberry Ice Cream
Boil 227 g chopped strawberries in a medium saucepan over high until mushy and all liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 min. Chill until completely cool.
Stir in 150 mL sweetened condensed milk. In a medium bowl, beat 1 cup 35% cream, using an electric mixer on medium, until soft peaks form, 2 to 4 min.
Reduce speed to low and beat in strawberry mixture until just combined. Scrape ice cream mixture into a resealable container and freeze until firm, 6 hr.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 1 g,
- 16 g,
- 2 g,
- 13 mg.