Whisk and Sugar’s Vegan Chocolate Crinkle CookiesBy Chatelaine
"One of my best memories growing up was making holiday cookies with my family—now I get to pass that tradition to my own kids. These soft and fudgy vegan chocolate crinkle cookies are a classic holiday cookie that’s perfect for any party or cookie exchange. They’re sure to please even the pickiest cookie or chocolate lover." —Courtney Van Horne, owner, Charlottetown (now closed, sadly)
- 2/3 cup icing sugar , (80 g)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar , (288 g)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil , or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup oat milk , or almond milk, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour , (240 g)
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder , (60 g)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Position rack in centre of oven and preheat to 350F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment. Pour icing sugar into a medium bowl.
- Stir granulated sugar with oil in a large bowl until smooth. Stir in milk, flaxseed and vanilla until combined.
- Sift in flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Stir until a soft dough forms. Scoop heaping 1-tbsp portions of dough and roll into balls. Coat balls completely in icing sugar and arrange 2 in. apart on prepared sheets. (The more icing sugar on the cookie, the more you will have a defined “crinkle” look.)
- Bake cookies for 15 min. Cookies may look a bit wet or soft in the middle but will firm up as they cool. Let cookies on sheet for 10 min. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.