Pickled Garlic Scapes
* PLUS 2 week refrigeration time
Photo, Erik Putz.
These delicately flavoured swan-necked greens can be found in farmer's markets and Asian or specialty grocery stores, from late spring through early summer.
, ends trimmed
2 1/2 cups
, thinly sliced (optional)
- Coil garlic scapes inside 2 glass jars that can each hold 2 cups liquid, leaving 1-in. headspace.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, water, salt and peppercorns in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour hot mixture into jars, making sure it covers garlic scapes. Add chili, if using, then let stand for 5 min before screwing lids on. Let jars cool completely at room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 weeks before using. Scapes will then keep well for up to 1 month.
- You can cut garlic scapes into long spears or bite-sized pieces.
- Serve these in a classic Caesar or chopped up in place of gherkins in potato salads or salads in general.
Nutrition (per ¼ cup)
- 2 g,
- 10 g,
- 1 g,
- 40 mg.