( 2 ratings )
- Cooking time:
- 8 minutes
- Preparation time:
- 15 minutes
- 6 to 8 servings
- 2 garlic cloves or 1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) bottled
- 1 red pepper
- 1 onion
- Vegetable oil
- 19 oz (540 mL) can black beans
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each dried oregano leaves and salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp (1 to 2 mL) cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) frozen corn niblets
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped coriander or parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) salsa (optional)
- 1/2 lime
- 6 to 8 small whole wheat flour tortillas
The fast-food version of burritos can be loaded with empty calories and hidden fats. You’ll be surprised how quickly you can make a wholesome variety at home using fibre-rich beans and corn, whole wheat tortillas and vitamin-packed fresh peppers. Our recipe is completely vegetarian and easy enough for teenagers to prepare themselves after school. It’s also a great healthy snack after a workout or as a fast weeknight meal.
- Mince garlic. Core and seed pepper, then coarsely chop. Finely chop onion. Lightly coat a large frying pan with oil and set over medium heat. Add garlic, pepper and onion. Stir often until onion starts to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, rinse and drain black beans. Measure out chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and cayenne. Add beans and corn to pan. Sprinkle with spice mix. Stir occasionally until heated through, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in coriander and salsa. Squeeze lime juice overtop and stir to evenly mix.
- Spoon warm black bean filling evenly down centre of each warmed tortilla (see tip, below, for heating tortillas). Sprinkle with your favourite toppings (see bottom). Wrap tortilla around filling and serve.
For toppings, consider grated light Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and light sour cream or yogurt.
To warm tortillas, wrap together in foil and place in a preheated 350F (180C) oven until warm. Or stack tortillas on a paper towel in the microwave and warm on high 30 seconds.
Nutrition (per Serving)
- 6.6 g
- 2.5 g
- 31.9 g
- 6.2 g
- 2 mg
- 37 mg