active dry yeast, (2 tsp)
granulated sugar, divided
3 1/3 cups
PC Unsalted Country Churned butter, cubed and softened
vegetable oil, for frying
- STIR yeast, 1 tsp sugar and milk in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let stand for 10 min. Beat in eggs, remaining sugar and salt with dough hook on medium for 1 min. Add flour and beat dough until smooth, 5 min. Add butter, mixing for 3 min.
- FORM into a ball. Place in an oiled bowl, then cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- ROLL out dough on a floured surface to ½-in. thickness. Cut out 14 rounds with a 3-in. cutter, then cut out holes in centre of rounds with a 1-in. cutter. Re-roll scraps once, letting dough rest before cutting. Place doughnuts and doughnut holes on 2 floured baking sheets, 2 in. apart. Let rise, uncovered, for 30 min.
- CLIP a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a large pot and heat 1 ½ in. of oil over medium until temp reaches 350F. Fry doughnuts, 2 at a time, flipping halfway, until golden, 2 min. Drain on a rack. Fry doughnut holes, 1 min.
- FOR GLAZE: whisk icing sugar, maple syrup and cream until smooth. Dip doughnuts twice in glaze. Place on a rack and sprinkle with popcorn.
Protein 4 g
Carbohydrates 41 g
Fat 7 g
Fibre 1 g
Sodium 108 mg
Good source of Folate