- PASTRY: Whirl coconut in a food processor until very fine. Add flour and salt, then whirl until combined. Add butter and pulse 7 or 8 times until crumbs are pea-size. While pulsing, add ice water through feed tube until dough just comes together. Wrap in plastic wrap, then flatten into a disc. Refrigerate until firm, 1 hr.
- POSITION rack in bottom third of oven. Preheat to 400F.
- ROLL out dough into a 13-in. circle on a lightly floured surface. Lift onto a 9-in. pie plate and press dough over bottom and up sides of plate, leaving a 1-in. overhang. Fold overhang under and crimp around the edge. Freeze for 15 min. Prick pastry all over with a fork. Cover with a large square of foil, folding foil over pastry so edges are not exposed. Fill with dried beans or pie weights and bake in bottom third of the oven for 18 min. Remove foil and beans. Bake until crust is golden, 10 to 12 min. Poke shell with fork if it puffs up. Let cool on a rack, about 30 min. Brush the inside of the cooled shell with melted chocolate.
- CUSTARD: Whisk milk, egg, yolk and cornstarch in a large bowl until smooth. Heat coconut milk, shredded coconut, sugar and salt in a saucepan set over medium, stirring until sugar dissolves and bubbles start to form around the sides of the pan, about 5 min. Whisk constantly while slowly adding one-third of hot coconut mixture to milk mixture. Pour milk mixture back into the pot and set over medium.
- BRING to a gentle boil, whisking constantly until thickened, about 2 min. Remove from heat, then stir in vanilla. Pour custard into prepared shell. Place plastic wrap directly onto custard to prevent skin forming and chill until set, about 2 hours or overnight.
- TOPPINGS: Beat cream and icing sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium-high until soft peaks form, about 3 min. To serve, top pie with whipped cream, white chocolate shavings and toasted coconut flakes.
Kitchen Tip: You’ll need a 200-g bag of shredded sweetened coconut for this pie.
Kitchen Tip: Microwave white chocolate in a heat-safe bowl, stirring halfway, until melted and smooth, about 1 min. A thin layer of chocolate seals any holes in the crust and keeps it crisp as it sits.
Kitchen Tip: Make wide chocolate curls by shaving a bar of white chocolate with a vegetable peeler.
Kitchen Tip: Toast coconut flakes at 400F until golden brown, 3 to 4 min.
Kitchen Tip: For a gluten-free version, make coconut parfaits! Layer the coconut custard with whipped cream and toasted coconut in individual glasses.
Chatelaine Quickies: Chia and coconut pudding