The trick of a truly amazing lime soup is to use fresh lime juice and add it right at the end to preserve its incredible flavour. This soup contains the juice of almost 10 limes, which makes it a true detox aid. Now is always a great time to cleanse and lentils provide needed protein that assists in phase-two liver detoxification. Limes will produce more juice when warm so consider storing them on the counter or putting them in hot water before juicing. Lentils are one of the easiest legumes to digest and have been shown to help reduce belly fat. This soup freezes well so make a double batch and take it to work for lunch!
- 6 cups (1.5 L) broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cups (750 mL) dried organic red lentils
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) water
- 2 cups (500 mL) onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) whole cumin seed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) turmeric
- 2 cups (500 mL) kale, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh lime juice
- Sea salt to taste
1. Rinse dry red lentils in cold water, over and over until water runs clear. In a large pot, combine broth, bay leaf and lentils. Bring to boil.
2. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
3. In skillet over medium heat add onion, garlic and sea salt with bit of water and sauté until translucent (about 10 minutes).
4. Break the shell of the whole cumin seeds by lightly grinding them in a mortar and pestle. The seeds should still be visible when you are done.
5. Add turmeric and ground cumin seed into the onion mixture and sauté for 5 more minutes.
6. Mix sautéed onion spice mixture and chopped kale into the cooked lentils. Simmer for 15 minutes over a medium heat to blend flavors.
7. Turn off heat. Add lime juice and olive oil at the last minute to preserve the taste and nutrients.
8. When reheating, gently warm over a low heat.
Makes 10 cups.
Julie Daniluk hosts Healthy Gourmet (OWN: the Oprah Winfrey Network), a reality cooking show that highlights the ongoing battle between taste and nutrition. Her first book, Meals That Heal Inflammation (Random House) is now available and will help people enjoy allergy-free foods that taste great and assist the body in the healing process.