These easy tarts filled with a superfast homemade jam are as tasty as they are cute. And man, are they ever cute! Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and a touch of lemon zest and sugar are cooked down to spreadable goodness within a half hour. Then all that’s left to do is whip up our easy cream cheese dough, do a bit of rolling, chilling, filling and baking, and you’re rewarded with a bunch of bite-sized mini pies to enjoy with your afternoon tea.
But wait, there’s more: Now the Chatelaine Cooking Club comes with prizing! The best Mini Jumbleberry Tarts photo, as chosen by the Chatelaine Kitchen, will receive a $100 gift card to Indigo. Yay! Click here for contest rules and regulations.
About the Chatelaine Cooking Club: Every other Friday we send out the call for you to recreate our ‘Recipe of the Week,’ a winning dish we’ve selected from the current issue of Chatelaine.
Then what? All you do is chop, stir, cook or bake it up, snap a photo of your culinary prowess, send it to us, and in two weeks, check back at Chatelaine.com to see if you’re featured in our Chatelaine Cooking Club gallery!
Mini jumbleberry tarts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 260-g pkg cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg, divided
- 1 1/2 cups Jumbleberry jam
- Coarse sugar (optional)
- WHIRL flour, butter and salt in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add cream cheese and egg yolk. Pulse just until dough starts to form a ball. Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a flat disc, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12 × 12-in. square, about 1/4 in. thick. Cut into 24 3-in. circles. Gently push rounds into a 24-cup mini- muffin pan, pressing along the bottom, then up the sides until pastry is slightly over the rim. Gather and re-roll dough scraps to 1/4 in. thick. Cut into 1-in. stars (or other shapes) using a cutter.
- FILL each dough cup with 2 tsp jam. Lay star cut-outs on jam. Brush edges and stars with reserved egg white, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- BAKE in centre of oven until tops are brown, 25 to 30 min. Let stand 10 min, then remove tarts from pan.
How to post your pic?
Once you have your photo, you can post it one of three ways (make sure you’re not on a private setting):
Follow us on Instagram, then post your photo using @ChatelaineKitchen
Follow us on Twitter, then tweet us your photo with the hashtag #ChatelaineKitchen
Like us on Facebook, then message us your photo
Email us your picture at firstname.lastname@example.org
Get your photos posted by Thursday September 12th at noon to be considered for the club’s gallery the following day, which will be featured with the next week’s recipe.
Quick photo tips: Don’t use a flash, natural light is best. Just place your plate near a window and shoot away. Don’t bother using props – they’ll detract from the featured food. Overhead is always nice, close-ups work well, and get in close so we can see what’s cookin’! The larger the photo, the better.