To celebrate our 85th Anniversary, our kitchen hit the archives for a taste of the headline-making trends from the past 85 years. Inspired, we whipped, flipped and remixed our faves. For this Then and Now remake, we turned a towering platter of vegetables (see below) into a modern tapas and charcuterie board, with freshly pickled vegetables, asiago and parmesan wedges, prosciutto slices, olives and Italian bread.
- 1 tsp salt, preferably kosher
- 8 purple fingerling potatoes, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 bunch baby carrots, peeled and stems trimmed
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 284-g pkg white pearl onions
- 125 g small brussels sprouts
- 12 candy stripe radishes (large, cut in half)
For the marinade:
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp salt
- BOIL a pot of water. Add 1 tsp salt, potatoes and carrots. Boil until just fork-tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a large colander. Add beans to boiling water and cook until tender-crisp, about 3 min. Transfer to colander. Add onions to water and boil 1 to 2 min. Drain and rinse with cold running water. Trim, slip off and discard skins. Transfer to colander. Trim ends off brussels sprouts and add to vegetable mixture along with radishes.
- WHISK vinegar with oil, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Add vegetables and toss. Refrigerate at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Serve with asiago or parmesan wedges, prosciutto slices, olives and Italian bread.