Try this decadent number the next time you want to impress your guests. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or new to the kitchen, this cake is delectably easy. Add a few dried spices, plump juicy raisins and a good hit of rum to a package of chocolate cake mix — then sandwich the layers between fluffy clouds of rum-laced whipped cream. Now, this is something to give thanks for!
Triple-layer chocolate spice cake
This article has not been rated yet.
- 3/4 cup raisins , optional
- 1/2 cup dark rum , or orange liqueur
- 510- to 515-g pkg devil's food cake mix
- ingredients called for on cake mix
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 500-mL container 35% cream , about 2 cups
- 1 to 2 tbsp dark rum , or orange liqueur
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- chocolate curls , optional
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Lightly butter 3 (9-inch/23-cm) round baking pans. Line bottoms with parchment or waxed paper. To plump raisins, place in a small microwave-safe bowl and stir in 1/4 cup (50 mL) rum. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on medium until warm, 1 minute Remove and leave at room temperature.
- Place dry cake mix in a large bowl. Stir in spices. Prepare cake batter using ingredients listed and following directions on package, then stir in raisins and any liquid until evenly mixed. Divide among 3 pans. Smooth tops. Bake in centre of preheated 350F (180C) oven until a cake tester inserted into centre of cakes comes out clean and cakes pull away from sides of pans, 25 to 30 minutes. Place cakes on racks. Let cool in pans 10 minutes, then turn out on racks. Brush tops with 1/4 cup (50 mL) rum. Cool completely. Then, if cakes are domed or rounded and puffed in centre, trim to make flat before assembling. If baking cakes a day before assembling, wrap in plastic wrap and leave at room temperature overnight.
- Before assembling cake, pour cream into a large bowl. Add 1 tbsp (15 mL) rum and sugar. Using an electric mixer, beat on medium-high speed until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Taste and add remaining rum, a teaspoon (5 mL) at a time, as needed. To assemble, place 1 cake layer on a large plate. Spread one-third of cream overtop, just to edge. Cover with another cake layer. Top with half the remaining cream, spreading just to edges. Cover with last cake layer and top with remaining cream, spreading just to edge. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Best to assemble the day you are serving it. Sprinkle with chocolate curls. Slice cake into wedges. Any leftovers will keep well, covered and refrigerated, overnight.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 6 g,
- 40.8 g,
- 34.5 g,
- 1.3 g,
- 463 mg.