This pecan brownie in a velvety mousse is a delectable treat.
Double decadent brownie-mousse cake
16 slim wedges
- 120 g unsweetened chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 90 g semi-sweet chocolate , chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans
- 500 g semi-sweet chocolate , coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sherry
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites , or about 3/4 cup pasteurized egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 250-mL container 35% cream , about 1 cup
- 1 tsp vanilla
- You will need an 8-inch (2-L) round cake pan and a 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan. Preheat oven to 325F (160C). To make cake, lightly spray 8-inch (2-L) round cake pan with cooking oil. Melt unsweetened chocolate with butter in a saucepan set over medium-low heat, stirring often until smooth, about 5 minutes. Or microwave unsweetened chocolate and butter in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl on medium, stirring every minute, until almost melted, about 3 minutes. Then stir until mixture is smooth.
- In a small bowl, stir flour with baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, whisk eggs with sugar just until mixed. While whisking, slowly add warm chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture just until combined. Stir in 3 ounces (90 g) semi-sweet chocolate and pecans, then pour into prepared 8-inch (2-L) baking pan. Smooth top. Bake in centre of preheated 325F (160c) oven until a cake tester inserted in centre comes out with just a few pieces clinging to it, 35 minutes. Set pan on a wire rack. Cool cake completely in pan. Run a knife around edge of pan. Turn cake out onto a plate. Set aside.
- To make mousse, melt 1 pound (500 g) chocolate with sherry in a medium-size saucepan set over low heat. Stir frequently until chocolate is melted and smooth, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in sugar. Or microwave chocolate and sherry in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl on medium, stirring halfway through, until almost melted, about 3 minutes. Remove from microwave and stir until mixture is smooth. Stir in sugar. Place cooled brownie cake in centre of 9-inch (23-cm) springform pan. Then add egg yolks into chocolate mixture, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat egg whites with salt until soft peaks form when beaters are lifted. Using the same beaters (no need to wash them) beat whipping cream with vanilla in a large bowl until soft peaks will form. Fold egg whites into cream just until mixed. Stir one-quarter of cream mixture into chocolate mixture. Fold in remaining cream mixture just until no white streaks remain.
- Scrape mousse overtop cake. Using a spatula, gently spread mousse over and around cake until pan is filled and top of cake is covered. Gently drop pan on counter a few times to fill any air spaces that may be in mousse as well as to smooth surface. Refrigerate at least 6 hours, preferably overnight. After the cake has been in the refrigerator a couple of hours, stretch plastic wrap over cake pan without touching mousse.
- Just before serving, run a knife around edge of cake. Remove outer springform ring. If there are any rough spots along sides of cake, run a knife under hot water, then dry and use to smooth sides. Slice cake into very thin wedges, running knife blade under hot water after each slice. Serve as is or with a dollop of whipped cream or ice cream. Cake will keep well, wrapped and refrigerated, up to 3 days.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 7.1 g,
- 48.7 g,
- 34.2 g,
- 3.9 g,
- 168 mg.