Updated Dec 20, 2016Chatelaine
medium-grain brown rice, rinsed very well
raw baby spinach
medium sweet potato, peeled and julienned
large portobello mushrooms, gills scraped out and thinly sliced
garlic clove, minced
light soy sauce
honey, preferably manuka
nori, cut into matchsticks
- Combine rice with 8 cups cold water in a pot. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 min. Drain rice, then return to pot. Set aside.
- Bring another pot filled with water to a boil. Add spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 min. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out spinach into a sieve and rinse under cold running water to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid and transfer to a large platter.
- Add bean sprouts to boiling water. Cook until sprouts are tender, about 3 min. Drain and rinse under cold running water to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid and transfer to platter.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tsp oil, then sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 min. Transfer to platter.
- Return pan to heat and add 1 tsp oil. Add portobellos and cook just until tender, about 2 min. Transfer to platter.
- Add 1 tsp oil to pan. Crumble in turkey. Add garlic, soy and honey. Cook until no pink remains, about 5 min. Stir in sesame seeds. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tsp oil, then crack eggs into pan. Cook, covered, until eggs are no longer runny, 1 to 2 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Scoop rice into 4 wide bowls. Arrange spinach, bean sprouts, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and turkey in a circle over rice in each bowl. Top with an egg. Sprinkle with nori. Serve with red pepper sauce.