* PLUS Cooking time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup medium-grain brown rice , rinsed very well
- 454-g container raw baby spinach
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 5 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato , peeled and julienned
- 2 large portobello mushrooms , gills scraped out and thinly sliced
- 250 g ground turkey
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp honey , preferably manuka
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 sheet nori , cut into matchsticks
- Combine rice with 8 cups cold water in a pot. Bring to a boil over high, then reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 25 min. Drain rice, then return to pot. Set aside.
- Bring another pot filled with water to a boil. Add spinach and stir until wilted, about 1 min. Use a slotted spoon to scoop out spinach into a sieve and rinse under cold running water to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid and transfer to a large platter.
- Add bean sprouts to boiling water. Cook until sprouts are tender, about 3 min. Drain and rinse under cold running water to cool. Squeeze out excess liquid and transfer to platter.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium-high. Add 2 tsp oil, then sweet potatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 min. Transfer to platter.
- Return pan to heat and add 1 tsp oil. Add portobellos and cook just until tender, about 2 min. Transfer to platter.
- Add 1 tsp oil to pan. Crumble in turkey. Add garlic, soy and honey. Cook until no pink remains, about 5 min. Stir in sesame seeds. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 1 tsp oil, then crack eggs into pan. Cook, covered, until eggs are no longer runny, 1 to 2 min. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Scoop rice into 4 wide bowls. Arrange spinach, bean sprouts, sweet potatoes, mushrooms and turkey in a circle over rice in each bowl. Top with an egg. Sprinkle with nori. Serve with red pepper sauce.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 27 g,
- 57 g,
- 19 g,
- 8 g,
- 309 mg.