Dessert on the barbecue? Oh, yeah! Grilled strawberry shortcake means you don’t have to leave the grill and it takes just 9 minutes.
Grilled strawberry shortcake
- 3 cups hulled and chopped ripe strawberries
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur , or orange juice
- 283 g store-bought angel food cake , or 1 homemade angel food cake
- Oil grill and heat barbecue to medium. Place strawberries in a very large foil pie plate. Stir in sugar and liqueur. Cover plate tightly with foil. Slice angel food cake into 8 wedges.
- Place pie plate on grill. Barbecue, covered, 6 minutes, then push to side of grill. Arrange cake wedges on grill. Barbecue, uncovered, just until grill marks form, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove each wedge as it is done to a plate. Lift up a corner of foil from pie plate. Strawberries should still be chunky, but releasing enough juices to make a thin sauce. If necessary, re-cover and continue grilling until strawberries are saucy, 1 to 3 minutes. Remove from grill and discard foil. Spoon strawberry sauce over each wedge. Excellent with dollops of whipped cream or plain or vanilla yogurt and a sprig of mint.
Nutrition (per serving)
- 3 g,
- 31 g,
- 1 g,
- 2 g,
- 266 mg.